Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)

Military and Overseas Voters (UOCAVA)

What is UOCAVA?

Who is covered under UOCAVA?

What is the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA)?

What is the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB)?

Do I have to register to vote?

When should I request an Absentee Ballot?

Do I have to send in a separate application for each election?

Can I vote at the embassy or consulate?

When will I get my ballot?

What if I do not get a ballot?

Do I have to choose a classification on the FPCA and FWAB?

What if none of these classifications apply to me?

Can my immediate family members vote absentee?

Will it affect my citizenship if I select "my return is uncertain"?

Can a US citizen who has never lived in the country register to vote and request an absentee ballot?

What if I do not have a Social Security Number or a District of Columbia government-issued ID?

Does voter registration affect my tax status?

What is my US voting residence address?

What if someone else lives there now or the house was torn down?

What if I do not know my voting residence address?

Can my voting residence and current address be the same?

Do I have to give my current address if I am asking for my Absentee Ballot by email or fax?

What if I do not know my overseas address or duty station?

Do I have to put my political party?

Do I have to give additional information?

Can I sign my FPCA or FWAB electronically?

Does it matter what size paper I use?

How can I send my form?

Do I have to pay for postage?

How do I email my form?

What is the DoD Fax Service?

How do I check the status of my application?